or maybe just more playing....depends on how you look at it. Got some chipboard out today and some SVG files and made some embossing "folders" for Halloween since that was what I had planned to work on today. I found so many great ideas this past week, I could help but be inspired! A few weeks ago, I happened across a couple of great kits at http://SVGCuts.com and today, I decided to see how well a couple of the cuts might just work as folders. The web works really well. And I had lots of fun playing with it. The first cut, really was the test - cut it out on too light of chipboard - so it warped when I doubled it up and ran it through the Big Shot -- oops! LOL now it has a shadow.... cool, but not what I want. So grabbed a thicker piece of chip stock and cut again. Here's the final version.
This one still shows a few edges that need to be cleaned up. But it works great and makes a really great image. Using the Cuttlebug you do need to use a slightly different sandwich however since the chip isn't quite as thick as an embossing folder - A plate, B plate, tan mat (spellbinders), chipboard (equal to your your embossing chipboard), cardstock, chipboard embossing plate, B plate, B plate. It's kind of tight, but works really well and you get crisp details - I would imagine that with some tweaking and trial and error you could figure out the sandwich on the Big Shot/Sizzix as well. I just didn't have the time since I needed to finish one more folder before the morning was done.
This is the second folder -- ghosts from the same kit from http://svgcuts.com Another cut still at the original size 4 inches square. Because 3 of the ghosts are "free" I mounted this in a folder. I didn't get as crisp an image as I would have liked - so I think I'm going to play with the sandwich a little more to see if I can get a little crisper image next go around.
The owl 2 step punch is still a hit in the craft room...
I love this little gremlin! Don't you? He's nearly a CASE from Kay over at http://creationsonpaper.blogspot.com. She's got a lot of cute ideas on her website and I've barely touched the surface of her archives there.
I used the web stamp from a really old retired SU set (circa 1990), heat embossed. The edging on the black paper is done using the designer label punch. I used a stamp from my Halloween House Mouse set for the sentiment. The "ears" are made using the circle punch from the mini punch set and the 1 1/4" circle punch.
The Companion card to this is:
Another SVGCuts file here for the background - 1 3/4" circle for the moon in daffodil yellow with a little bit of crushed curry along the edges to add some depth and some whisper white wisps across the face here and there too. It just made it kind of fun. If you click on the pic, for a little close look, I think you can see the webbing on the circle behind the gremlin -- also from Kay at http://creationsonpaper.blogspot.com
Well, the wedding is only 6 days away - and I fly out in just a couple more! It's exciting! I've still got a couple of things to get finished up between now and Tuesday morning, or they won't be in the suitcase and going with me.
Have a great rest of the weekend....