Oh my! It's been years! However, as a challenge, I decided to test the waters using some new ideas with some old techniques... enter Craftwell's eBrush, some unbleached light weight cotton muslin, markers and embroidery floss, iron on fusing and the rest of the stuff you generally use when you're quilting.
With Pat Sloan's pattern as the main idea, I used the Sizzix eclips to cut the stencil pattern. I used some contact vinyl since I wanted to keep as much color as possible from bleeding through. It worked really well. The flowers, leaves and flower centers were all colored individually on an 8 x 8 inch piece of muslin. The color is nearly transparent in places.. I used markers from my old set of Stampin'Up! ones. They are still pretty juicy. I did have to use some pencil grips to use them in the eBrush adaptor. But they worked quite well. (thanks Mitsyana for the hack).
Once all the pieces had been filled with color, I let them dry for a few days (while we were on vacation). I heat set the color and fused on some fusible webbing -- cut them and ironed them all in place on the central ring also colored in with a marker using the eBrush.
Once all the pieces were fused to the background muslin piece, I started doing some stitching with some DMC floss I had in my stash from my days of doing cross-stitch and embroidery. Oi! I used some real "primitive" stitches -- so out of practice! LOL... but I do like the look of the uneven stitches... for this piece.
I think this will be a small wall hanging once I complete the edging - and will be gifted to someone on my Pay It Forward Crafting list. Which reminds me, I should finish that up shortly and get all of those off the plate before things get even more hectic around here!
List of Supplies:
Sizzix eclips and eCal software (Craft Edge)
Vintage Blooms (Pat Sloan, Leisure Arts) Tote Bag pattern
clear contact vinyl
Muslin, 1/4 yard
Stampin' Up! markers
fusible web (Wonder Under)
DMC floss in coordinating colors
batting, backing, needle, iron, iron, scissors