It's national Upcycling month and the Craftwell Design Teams are celebrating it too. I hope you'll enjoy this fun prim project.
For this project I chose to recycle some material and a plastic bottle. The eBrush, Tulip Fabric dye and white glue and hot glue were used on the flowers, leaves and a bit of tea for a little more vintage look.
Cut the circles in the sizes desired. I chose to add a little design to the flower centers using the glue. Be sure to let it dry before you use the eBrush with the siphon adapter to add color. Once you've finished spraying, let dry. Heat set the dye. If desired you can wash out the glue, I liked the way it looked, so left it on.
Cut the larger circles to make flower petals. Do not cut past the stitching. Dip the flower into some tea. Add a little cinnamon to the tea -- squeeze out the excess tea and place on a parchment covered cookie sheet. Repeat for each of the flowers. Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees F. Place the cookie sheet in the oven for about 20 minutes. You will want to watch to make sure you don't "over cook" the flowers.
For the leaves, cut double the number of shapes and spray (or dip) with dye. Let dry. Iron if needed. Using the glue gun, on one side of the leaf, draw in some veins.... put a leaf shape on the top, matching the edges as best as you can. You may want to tap lightly to make sure that both pieces of fabric are "stuck." Flip over. You should be able to see your vein pattern. Repeat as needed. When all your leaves are finished, grab a sharpie and spray around the edges for a little more color and depth. Using the glue gun, glue the leaves to the back of the flower head OR glue to a "stem" you've added to the flower. (Kabob sticks are my stems for this project).
(no pics, sorry)
I chose to recycle a fruit juice bottle for my vase. Just cut with an exacto knife at the height you want. I wanted a copper look so grabbed a can of spray paint I found at my local home improvement store and gave the "vase" a quick spray (Hammered Copper was used in this project and it is safe on most plastics). Spray a second coat following manufacturer's directions if desired. It was a bit humid here the day I sprayed, so it took longer on the drying time. Using a piece of recyled styro, I hot glued it into the vase and then added my flowers.
While I liked the hammered copper look of the vase - I decided to take it a step further and add a little "patina." Here's how it looks now. Ranger's Vintaj Patina was perfect! You can use the siphon OR a brush to apply.
Thanks for stopping by today. Hope you're enjoying this month's projects... be sure to check the rest of the #eBrushteam's projects on the Craftwell blog.