in a very long time.... A little paper house.
I used the Bird House file and the stand from Smiling Jack O' Lantern file from Simply Crafty SVGs with an added beveled box I created using Blender and Pepakura. This was lots of fun!
The panels on the outside of the house are embossed with a rock embossing folder and the inside walls of the house are also paneled for a little more sturdiness to compensate for the added weight of the moss on the roof and to cover the prongs used in the hinges.
.... after opening the bird house file in SCAL, I made a few changes to the door and added a few additional details.
The door is comprised of 4 layers of cardstock. The top layer is embossed and inked and was washed with a bit of water. the window element was created in SCAL combining some basic shapes. The door is set off center on the front of the house. A half arch was added to one side (not shown above) and is also made of 4 layers, embossed and inked.
The door knocker is made with some jewelry findings (a bead and jump ring) glued to a metallic (aluminum can) heart die cut. In the final design, they are colored with a black sharpie. The hinges were a find on Amazon. I used some small brads to secure the hinges to the door and house frame. The door knob (not shown) is a brad minus the prongs. E6000 glue was used to secure the metallic pieces to the door. Let dry overnight for best results!
Assemble the house following the basic assembly instructions provided at Simply Crafty SVGs. The video instruction does not include the door used for this project.
A sheet of hobby craft moss was cut to size to use on the roof. I used some heavy duty double stick tape to secure it on the roof pieces.
I really like the stand from the Smiling Jack O'Lantern file. I've used it for several other projects and it's a favorite and so easy to assemble. No need to alter the size or design. An additional beveled box was added to the stand to add more width and stability at the top to accommodate the house.
Is it perfect? NO, not at all! But I've learned a lot in this construction, and hope to add a few additional houses in the months to come implementing some additional ideas. Overall, it was an enjoyable project and got me out of my comfort zone in several areas and using materials I don't often use or combine with paper.
Paper: American Cardstock (AC) and Bazill 80lb (textured)
Adhesives: Bearly Art Glue, e6000, red line tape (heavy duty)
Software used: SCAL 5, Blender, Pepakura
embossing folders, small heart die
Findings: small bead, jump ring, aluminum can, hinges, brads
Jewelry round nose pliers, wire cutters
Ink blending tool
Thanks for stopping by. Hoping you've carved out some creative time this week. I have and I'm looking forward to some fun time crafting and creating. If you choose to make this or something similar... please be sure to let me know and tag #simplycraftysvgs too! Sandy would love to see your make as well!